Thursday, July 13, 2006

I Don't Ever Want To Get A Job!

I know it sounds weird but it's true. I don't want a job. I worked a job once and determined two weeks into it that I never wanted to work one again. And before you even ask the question, of course I have bills to pay, children to feed and me to spoil which all requires money.

Of course I had to make certain sacrifices. I went back to school to get a degree forcing myself back into poverty but I loved every minute of it. I loved that I was actively participating in pursuing my passion. It's a decision that has never brought one ounce of regret. There was no room for regrets because I was totally engrossed in following my designated path in life. I had found my passion. My true calling.

So I ask you: have you found your true calling? The reason you're alive. Your personal mission in life. Your passion. Your TRUE Calling.

If you don't have a clue what I'm talking about, take a couple seconds to complete this quick quiz:

1. Are you doing EXACTLY the kind of work that makes you want to leap out of bed each morning excited to begin a new day?

2. Does your work satisfy a need deep within to express yourself, your talents, your values, your unique and precious gifts?

3. Does your work allow for a balanced life - one that leaves time for family and friends, for exercise or hobbies, for you?

4. Are you doing what you love and loving what you do?

If you answered "yes" to all of these questions, congratulations! There's a good chance that you have achieved what the Buddhist's call "Right Livelihood."

If you haven't yet found the work you were meant to do, then you're merely passing the time, just existing. Because when you find that calling that is uniquely yours, your life will be transformed on all levels. Guaranteed.

"The way to find out about your happiness," said renowned mythology scholar Joseph Campbell, "is to keep your mind on those moments when you feel most happy, when you are really happy - not excited, not just thrilled, but deeply happy."

Now ask yourself how you feel each day as you get ready for work. Do you hit your snooze button on your alarm clock two or three times before you get out of bed. Do you then drag yourself out of bed, dreading another day at a job that's high on stress, short on satisfaction and even shorter on money? Because when you really love your job you don't need an alarm clock because you can't wait to get out of bed and dive into another day where your work feels more like play. Now that is not to say that you won't ever face a challenge or have issues even after you've found your passion - because you will. But when you're focused on your goals and happy about where you are in life, you meet those challenges with a different energy and understanding.

Now just a note about monetary rewards you're your passion: When you find your passion, the money will follow. It's a given. You may not be "rich" but you have more respect for a paycheck when you don't feel as if you've slaved to get it. A mentor of mine once told me, "When you stop working for money - money works for you." Believe me, it makes all the difference in the world.

It's the difference between a job and your passion!

3 comments:

  1. Amen! Bravo! Kudos! This is so true. I'm not fully living my true calling BUT I am on the path. And it feels DE-LIC-IOUS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:30 AM

    I'm living my true passion as Buddist calls it the, Right Livelihood. I loved everything about my job but I'm not one who likes to wake up by the sounds of the alarm clock lol.

    #3 is the only one I had to work on but you know, all that fell into place in its own proper time, like the "moment" so my answer was YES to all the questions listed.

    With my job I love the thrill of the career, the money, the stress and the frustration, and the satisfaction at the end of the day.

    I never wanted just a job but a passion, and Law is my passion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm in the same boat and msjayy. i'm on my way! and the journey is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete